We are seeking a PhD qualified Life Sciences Scientist for a technology company near Huntingdon.
To identify, define and evaluate new research themes and projects as part of the company's technology scouting and feasibility team in the area of Life Sciences. Within this role, you will be building company expertise in the area of Life Sciences as part of an interdisciplinary team that includes Biochemists, Chemists, Physicists and Engineers.
• Planning short-loop projects to demonstrate the technical feasibility and scope for further development of technology areas.
• Working with the Platform Innovation Team to identify and develop new research themes relating to Life Sciences.
• Trend analysis and technology mapping to identify unmet needs within these themes.
• Identification of suitable development partners, either in academia or industry, where needed to deliver elements of required feasibility work.
• Representing company at conferences and, where appropriate, disseminating research output within the wider scientific community.
• Analysis of the related market and development of a proposed business hypothesis.
• Excellent academic credentials are essential, including a PhD in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Synthetic Biology or a closely related subject within the Life Sciences.
• Practical experience in common molecular biology techniques is essential, including molecular cloning, nucleic acid isolation and purification, and PCR, with a deep understanding of the underlying principles.
• The role requires a clear and confident communicator, both when discussing complex technical concepts with fellow Scientists and senior academics and when providing project updates to senior management.
• It is essential to demonstrate aptitude for creative thinking and delivering novel solutions for unmet needs within these areas.
• It is essential to be an experienced researcher who has worked on projects relating to one or more of the following areas: Gene editing or silencing; nucleic acid-based therapeutics; RNAi in agriculture; Synthetic Biology; Molecular Biology.
• A keen awareness of recent trends and cutting edge technologies within the Life Sciences would be highly desirable.
• Evidence of a growing network of contacts within the Life Sciences community and a good knowledge of who the leading academics are within relevant fields would be highly desirable.
• A thorough understanding of Health & Safety, Legal and Ethical aspects that are encountered within the areas highlighted would be desirable.
key words: PhD ph.d d.phil dphil Doctorate doctor Dr. Dr and molecular biology microbiology microbiologist molecular biologist synthetic biology molecular cloning nucleic acid pcr gene editing gene silencing