Covid-19: How I intend to support my staff and our local community
Safety Revolution Ltd is a Health and Safety consultancy, serving rural businesses across the UK. As part of our safety management system, we supply regular updates to clients on matters of relevance such as changes in the law, HSE guidance and perceived best practice, says Oliver Dale, MD at Safety Revolution.
As MD, I also hold regular team meetings to ensure my consultants, trainers and admin staff are all kept up to date and offer advice based on the latest developments in the industry.
Whilst following government guidance to keep my team and our clients fit and well, my thoughts turn to the wider community, especially the elderly and more vulnerable among us.
As a business owner I feel a responsibility to offer whatever support I can.
What follows is an extract of a staff email which was circulated on March 12, 2020:
"Of great concern to me - as I’m sure it is to you - is the potential impact on the more vulnerable members of our society, either relatives or friends. It is beholden on us as a relatively strong and healthy team to help those more at risk wherever we can.
"I would like to encourage you all to help those high-risk individuals wherever you can by introducing the following short term and temporary measures that extend support beyond the scope of our own team to aid the wider local community."
- If you become unwell or suspect or become aware that you have had contact with an infected person, please follow the government guidance - the company will pay full pay for up to a two-week period of illness.
- If a relative or friend within a vulnerable group becomes ill and you want to care for them the company will pay full pay whilst you do that, again initially for a two-week period.
- Everyone needs someone at a time like this so if you are aware of for example an elderly person in the community who perhaps needs someone to keep an eye on them more frequently in whatever way is required or can be supported or comforted through this then the company will pay you whilst you do this - for up to two weeks or accommodate shorter periods of absence - to be agreed on a case by case basis
- If you wish to conduct any other form of voluntary work connected to this the same support will be available as detailed above.
- If you become aware of a situation where financial support would achieve a better health outcome for someone bring it to me.
"I hope that these measures are if anything an over-reaction, but that is where I’d rather be. Wishing you all good health – Oliver Dale, MD."
- Safety Revolution was founded in 2003 by an insurance broker and a farmer who were concerned about agriculture’s poor record in health and safety - today, under Oliver Dale’s management, Safety Revolution are the UK’s leading specialists in health and safety, human resources and risk reduction for rural businesses.
Health and Safety service to support rural sector
- Safety Revolution are now offering farmers and rural business owners the opportunity to informally discuss their health and safety concerns in the light of Covid-19.
- The service will provide free 30 minute consultations to support the rural sector and those seeking guidance.
- To apply, you can visit the Safety Revolution Advice Hub.