Stobart Group have an exciting opportunity for two Woodland Surveyors to join their team in Yorkshire.
Reporting to: Forestry and Planning Manager
Salary: Up to £20,000 dependent on experience + Benefits (including company pension scheme and uniform)
Shift Pattern: 40hrs per week - Monday to Friday
Closing Date: Wednesday 22nd November
Stobart Group is an Infrastructure and Support Services business operating in the biomass energy, railway maintenance and aviation sectors as well as having investments in a property and logistics portfolio.
Woodland Surveyor - What's the role?
Predominately site based, you will be supporting the Planning Team, Surveyors will carry out GIS based surveys of woodlands across the North of England, tariffing and gathering information to form the basis of Forestry Commission (FC) Management Plan proposals. These are site based roles, reporting back to base once per fortnight. Candidates must be prepared to work alone in remote areas with difficult terrain.
Woodland Surveyor - What will I be responsible for?
- Carry out on site woodland surveys across the North of England, the surveys will collect information on Forest Stand Assessment e.g., density, age, yield class, species ID
Ecological/Environmental Constraints E.g. European Protected Species
- Capture information electronically on site into a weatherproof tablet.
- Upload the information electronically to the Planning Team on a daily/weekly basis for review.
- Consider and suggest ideas for improvements, sharing this feedback with others in a constructive manner.
- Demonstrate accountability, examine complex information and obtain further information to make accurate decisions.
- Display enthusiasm around goals and activities - adopting a positive approach when interacting with others.
- Express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing, and with sensitivity and respect for others.
- Ensure that levels of service are maintained - flag up risks or concerns including health and safety in order to meet customer requirements.
- Promote adherence to relevant policies, procedures, regulations and legislation, including equality and diversity and health and safety
Woodland Surveyor - Qualifications and Skills
- Qualified in forestry, woodland or land management or have relevant specialist knowledge and technical expertise
- Excellent IT skills including GIS, Word, Excel and other software packages as appropriate
- Educated to GSCE grade C (or equivalent) standard in Maths and English
Woodland Surveyor - Experience
- Be able to demonstrate sound silvicultural & harvesting knowledge of lowland forestry and understanding of UK Forest Standards, FC Guidelines and current environmental guidelines/issues.
- Ability to identify opportunities to improve the level of service
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders both internal and external regarding procurement issues
- Track record of delivering savings across specific categories
To apply for this Woodland Surveyor opportunity, please click 'Apply' now to send us your up to date CV and covering letter.
For Stobart employees: If you are short-listed for an interview, you must inform your line manager in advance.