They’re fun, hard-working, reliable, tough and can do amazing things with baler twine.
Rural blogger and farm consultant Anna Bowen gives us 25 reasons why you should definitely marry a farmer’s daughter...
1. Chances are she can use a gun, whether it’s for game, vermin or clays. The only issue is that she may shoot straighter than you…
2. Big machines won’t phase her.
3. Nor will speeding across the farm on a quad bike!
4. After a lifetime with a horse between her legs she has thighs of steel and a remarkable rising trot. Cheeky...
5. Summer is for harvest, which means she’s unlikely to demand a holiday beyond a week of skiing after Christmas.
6. Cooking is a craft passed from mother to daughter. You will get fat!
7. On a similar note, she has been well-nourished and prepped for bearing children.
8. No amount of education will drill out of her the importance of producing a male heir - even though we all secretly hope for a girl!
9. Similarly, she has a good understanding of inheritance and primogeniture.
10. Anyone who has grown up on a livestock farm will be completely unfazed by blood and other gross things.
11. The in-laws will live somewhere rural and scenic, ideal for a break…
12. …or dumping your children when they get too much and you fancy a few days in the remote Highlands.
13. Multi-tasking is a prime skill.
14. Calm in a crisis.
15. She can do amazing things with baler twine.
16. She can probably lift more than you.
17. Farmers’ daughters always look good... ;)
18. She will never complain about things like getting her hair wet or her shoes muddy.
19. Invites to crazy YFC parties and random barn dances.
20. Oh, and hunt balls.
21. Homemade liquors and cordials etc. Even if her grandmother made them.
22. She’ll have brothers who will join you on a shoot.
23. And take you out in a tractor - if that floats your boat.
24. She will LOVE dogs.
25. And believe cats should stay outdoors.