Farmers Guardian
Topics
How to spot BSE and what farmers can do to prevent it

How to spot BSE and what farmers can do to prevent it

DataHub

DataHub

Dairy Farmer Magazine

Dairy Farmer Magazine

Auction Finder

Auction Finder

British Farming Awards

British Farming Awards

CropTec

CropTec

LAMMA 2020

LAMMA 2020

You are viewing your 1 free article

Register now to receive 2 free articles every 7 days or subscribe for unlimited access.

Subscribe | Register

Family-owned farming business fined after employee seriously injured

A family-owned and run farming business has been fined after an employee suffered severe injuries after falling from height.

TwitterFacebook
Share This

Family-owned farming business fined after employee seriously injured #FarmSafety

Aberdeen Sheriff Court heard how, on 29 November 2017, Alan Twatt (Potatoes) Limited asked an employee to install an electric cable through four barns at a height of approximately 4 metres.

 

A potato box lifted by a forklift was used as a working platform. The worker fell approximately 2.5-3.5 metres and suffered a head injury as well as multiple fractures.

 

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the potato box was inherently unsafe and should not have been used with the forklift truck in any circumstances.

 

Further, the company had failed to follow their own procedures in relation to safe working at height.


Read More

Farm company fined after worker dragged into threshing machine Farm company fined after worker dragged into threshing machine
Farm partners fined after young father killed in 'tragic incident' Farm partners fined after young father killed in 'tragic incident'
Farm partnership fined £100,000 after employee killed in tractor accident Farm partnership fined £100,000 after employee killed in tractor accident

Alan Twatt (Potatoes) Limited of Commerce House, South Street, Elgin, Moray pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 Banff and has been fined £40,000.

 

Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector, Norman Schouten said: “This incident could so easily have been avoided by using the correct equipment, such as a scissor lift. A potato box or other makeshift equipment is never a suitable platform for working at height.”

TwitterFacebook
Post a Comment
To see comments and join in the conversation please log in.

Most Recent

Facebook
Twitter
RSS
Facebook
Twitter
RSS