Farmers Guradian
Topics
How to spot BSE and what farmers can do to prevent it

How to spot BSE and what farmers can do to prevent it

DataHub

DataHub

Dairy Farmer Magazine

Dairy Farmer Magazine

Auction Finder

Auction Finder

CropTec

CropTec

LAMMA 2019

LAMMA 2019

You are viewing your 1 free article

Register now to receive 2 free articles every 7 days or subscribe for unlimited access.

Subscribe | Register

NFU17: Small scale farmers need help to innovate

Leading innovation experts used the conference to reiterate the importance of ‘accelerating innovation and productivity growth’ to help businesses move away from original farming systems.


Lauren   Dean

TwitterFacebook
Lauren   Dean
TwitterFacebook
Small farmers said they found it hard to find the time and perseverance to innovate.
Small farmers said they found it hard to find the time and perseverance to innovate.
Share This

NFU17: Small scale farmers need help to innovate

But farmers in the audience of the produce workshop said this type of innovation could ‘spell the end’ of small family farms.

 

Professor Ian Boyd, Defra chief scientific adviser, said: “If you look at the farming system overall – if you actually analyse it – we find about 20 per cent of our farmers produce 80 per cent of production on 50 per cent of the land.

 

“Now that 20 per cent is doing a great job – a fantastic job. The other 80 per cent is where a problem sits.”

 

But small family farmers in the audience questioned the idea, suggesting the ease of prof Boyd’s suggestion to ‘unlock’ the remaining 80 per cent was the ‘essence of the problem’.

 

Chris Jeffries, sheep and grassland farmer, Tonbridge, said: “How do the 80 per cent bring themselves up when those 80 per cent often tend to be smaller farmers, lack profitability, fewer workers, are tired and have no time?

 

“There is no time to innovate and no funding for innovation.”

 

But Jake Freestone, Overbury Enterprises farm manager, added: “Innovating can cost you some money, it does not always work the first time you do it, but actually that is part of the persistence you need to run alongside your innovation.

 

“Innovation often has unexpected benefits.”

TwitterFacebook
Post a Comment
To see comments and join in the conversation please log in.

Most Recent

Facebook
Twitter
RSS
Facebook
Twitter
RSS