Farmers Guardian
Topics
How to spot BSE and what farmers can do to prevent it

How to spot BSE and what farmers can do to prevent it

DataHub

DataHub

Dairy Farmer Magazine

Dairy Farmer Magazine

Auction Finder

Auction Finder

British Farming Awards

British Farming Awards

CropTec

CropTec

LAMMA 2020

LAMMA 2020

You are viewing your 1 free article

Register now to receive 2 free articles every 7 days or subscribe for unlimited access.

Subscribe | Register

No deal pork tariffs could force pig farmers out of business, NPA warns

The National Pig Association (NPA) has called for an urgent review of the no deal pork tariffs.

TwitterFacebook
Share This

No deal pork tariffs could force pig farmers out of business, NPA warns

The National Pig Association (NPA) has called on Defra Secretary Thersea Villiers to ditch the current no-deal tariff proposals for pork, which, it says, could force UK producers out of business and export more of UK pig production abroad.

 

Tariffs

 

Under the proposed tariff regime announced in March, tariffs on pork – applying equally to imports from the EU and the rest of the world – would typically equate to about 3-5 per cent, which would have minimal impact on importers.


Read More

Refusing to levy no-deal tariffs on foreign food imports is the wrong move Refusing to levy no-deal tariffs on foreign food imports is the wrong move
Villiers faces farmer anger over lack of change to no-deal tariff schedule Villiers faces farmer anger over lack of change to no-deal tariff schedule

In a letter, NPA chairman Richard Lister said he had ’grave concerns’ this could expose the UK to significantly cheaper exports from countries such as the US who produce pork to standards not permitted in the UK.

 

It comes after the NFU wrote to Prime Minister Boris Johnson highlighting World Trade Organisation rules meant UK farmers would face higher fees on exports such as 48 per cent on lamb and 84 per cent on beef (see graphic).

 

The Government previously said it was committed to reviewing its no-deal tariff schedule, but on Wednesday (September 18) the Financial Times reported Westminster sources who said the ’broad thrust’ of the tariff schedule would remain in line with the proposals set out in March.

 

A Department for International Trade spokesperson declined to comment.

TwitterFacebook
Post a Comment
To see comments and join in the conversation please log in.

Most Recent

Facebook
Twitter
RSS
Facebook
Twitter
RSS