You are viewing 1 of your 2 free articles

You’ll need to join us by becoming a member to gain more access.
Already a Member?

Login Join us now

Top tips for harvesting and storing beans


With winter bean harvest now in full swing, and spring bean harvesting in the South only days away, it is timely to focus on the process of harvesting and post-harvest drying and storage, according to PGRO.

Twitter Facebook
Share This

Top tips for harvesting and storing beans #clubhectare #toptips


  • Desiccation will not advance seed maturity and has a slow effect on green stems
  • However, if the crop is infested with green weedy material, or has late set pods which are still green, application of a desiccant will aid combining
  • Applying a desiccant too early may result in yield and quality losses
  • Glyphosate is not a true desiccant but can be used as a pre-harvest treatment to control control perennial weeds




  • Apply when 90 per cent of pods are dry and black and when most of the seed is dry
  • Harvesting can be carried out four to seven days later
  • Diquat can be used on crops destined for animal feed, human consumption or seed


Consequences of delaying harvest

Consequences of delaying harvest
  • Once beans are ready to harvest quality will begin to deteriorate
  • Losses occur as pods open and start to shed seeds and seed colour deteriorates due to air exposure
  • Repeated wetting and drying due to rain increases the chance of staining, as does combining when stems are too green


All of these factors reduce the chance of achieving good visual quality and the premium for human consumption.


  • The quality standard is usually 14 per cent moisture content with 2 per cent impurities, or a combination of the two that should not exceed 16 per cent
  • The large size of bean seeds makes drying difficult as they have low resistance to airflow, gentle drying with ambient air is best

Maximum recommended drying temperatures:


Moisture content (%)

Drying temp (°C)



34 – 38



38 – 43

Human consumption


43 - 49

Drying options

  1. Floor-ventilated bins are easy and relatively safe to operate. When the initial moisture content is high, the transfer of produce from bin to bin and the use of warmed air together with adequate ventilation may be necessary to avoid mould developing in the upper layers
  2. Radially-ventilated bins allow faster drying than floor ventilated beans, but care must be taken not to overheat
  3. On-floor drying using ambient or warmed air can be used. Care must be taken not to load beans too deep if moisture content is high and if lateral ducts are spaced wider than 1m
  4. Continuous flow driers designed to work ona short period using high temperatures should be avoided for beans where quality is important, since they may cause cracking


  • Beans destined for human consumption should be stored in a dark area to delay the development of tannins which cause beans to discolour
  • Beans must be dried down to 14 per cent moisture for long-term storage


Source: Adapted from PGRO technical information

Twitter Facebook
Rating (0 vote/s)
Post a Comment
To see comments and join in the conversation please log in.

Related sections

Agronomy and crop protection

Agronomy and crop protection

News, features and analysis of the agronomy challenges growers and agronomists are encountering in modern day crop protection.
Handy hints: practical advice, handy tips and Buyer's Guides

Handy hints: practical advice, handy tips and Buyer's Guides

Handy tips and advice from all sectors across agriculture.

More News

Last OSR herbicide application date reminder

Farmers and sprayer operators need to ensure that applications of carbetamide are applied by the latest application date of February 28, advises the Voluntary Initiative (VI).

Large agricultural seed deposit made to global seed vault

A major seed deposit said to be critical to ensuring global food security was made to the Svalbard Global Seed Vault in the Arctic Circle today.  

Organic sales continue to grow as market tops £2 billion

Sales of organic produce have increased for the fifth year in a row, with the UK sector now worth £2 billion.

Yorkshire farmers visit Aunt Bessie’s to see their wheat made into Yorkshire puddings

Twelve Yorkshire-based farmers visited the Aunt Bessie’s factory in Hull recently to witness how their locally grown wheat is turned into Yorkshire puddings

School research project lifts off to the International Space Station (ISS)

The first school experiment to test if plant cuttings build roots in zero gravity has been sent to the International Space Station (ISS).
FG Insight and FGInsight.com are trademarks of Briefing Media Ltd.
Farmers Guardian and FarmersGuardian.com are trademarks of Farmers Guardian Ltd, a subsidiary of Briefing Media Ltd.
All material published on FGInsight.com and FarmersGuardian.com is copyrighted © 2016 by Briefing Media Limited. All rights reserved.
RSS news feeds