Farmers Guradian
Topics
Nine ways to keep your farm vehicles safe

Nine ways to keep your farm vehicles safe

Arable Farming Magazine

Arable Farming Magazine

Dairy Farmer Magazine

Dairy Farmer Magazine

LAMMA 2018

New to Farmers Guardian?
Register Now
Login or Register
New to Farmers Guardian?
Register Now
New to Farmers Guardian?
Register Now

You are viewing your 1 free article

Register now to receive 2 free articles every 7 days
Already a Member?

Login | Join us now

Want to make money from woodland on your farm? Here's how...

Although forestry and woodland coverage within England is on the rise there is still room for improvement and a national target to increase the area and management further.

 

James Pyrah of Robson & Liddle Chartered Surveyors, investigates the funding available to do so.

Twitter Facebook
Twitter Facebook

The Rural Development Programme for England (RDPE) has recently announced funding to improve productivity from forestry through its Countryside Productivity Scheme.

 

Grants are available to those with 10ha or more of forest or woodland who wish to take a more hands-on approach to production and a claimant can receive grant aid from £35,000 to £1 million to contribute towards new ventures.

 

This opens the doors to estates and farming businesses wishing to diversify and presents opportunities such as firewood enterprises or the collaborative purchasing of forestry equipment between neighbouring farms and estates.

 

By doing so the cost of harvesting woodland could be significantly reduced as the grant can fund up to 40% of equipment costs with the remaining 60% split between several parties.


Read More

England’s biggest woodland planting scheme in 30 years given go ahead England’s biggest woodland planting scheme in 30 years given go ahead
England's woodlands given boost with funding scheme England's woodlands given boost with funding scheme
Farmers urged to utilise agroforestry for its ‘undeniable’ benefits Farmers urged to utilise agroforestry for its ‘undeniable’ benefits
Farming organisations push for formal recognition of agroforestry Farming organisations push for formal recognition of agroforestry
Government urged to do more to facilitate woodland creation Government urged to do more to facilitate woodland creation

Competition for funding may be strong and it is important that priority areas are targeted when funding is applied for.

 

The key themes of the funding are improved productivity, growth of the business, collaborations and partnerships, and the ability to create higher value products.

 

If landowners do not wish to invest quite so significantly other funding is still available.

 

The Woodland Creation Grant (WCG) for 2018 has been confirmed and will commence in January with £13 million allocated for the planting of trees and an annual maintenance payment that will be available for ten years thereafter.

 

The theme will remain very much the same as for 2017 with the aim of planting a further three million trees across England by providing landowners with the opportunity to claim up to £6,800 per hectare.

In order to claim any of the grants available a woodland management plan approved by the Forestry Commission must first be in place.

 

The Countryside Stewardship Scheme offers a flat rate contribution of £1,000 all year round for woodlands between 3ha-50ha.

 

It is a very worthwhile investment as it not only allows landowners to apply for grant funding but gives woodland a clear direction for the future.

 

Felling licences for clear fells and thinning works are incorporated into the management plan, keeping future time and expenditure to a minimum.

Access Grant Checker

Access Grant Checker

The Grant Checker - your online tool to find agriculture grants, loans and scholarships available to you as a farmer.

 

Grant Checker is an online tool that allows you to look up and research agriculture grants, loans and scholarships available to you as a farmer.

 

You can access the Grant Checker via your desktop computer, tablet or a mobile device to search grants based on your location and age. Results show all the grants accepting applications and can be further filtered by the category or type.

 

Find out more HERE...

Twitter Facebook
Post a Comment
To see comments and join in the conversation please log in.
Facebook
Twitter
RSS
Facebook
Twitter
RSS