Topics
How to spot BSE and what farmers can do to prevent it

How to spot BSE and what farmers can do to prevent it

DataHub

DataHub

Dairy Farmer Magazine

Dairy Farmer Magazine

Auction Finder

Auction Finder

LAMMA 2019

LAMMA 2019

New to Farmers Guardian?
Register Now
Login or Register
New to Farmers Guardian?
Register Now
New to Farmers Guardian?
Register Now

You are viewing your 1 free article

Register now to receive 2 free articles every 7 days or subscribe for unlimited access.

Subscribe | Register

YEN wheat quality award winner

Winner of the first YEN wheat quality award is Sam Markillie, of family business Arthur Markillie, who farms 1,000ha (2,470 acres) near Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. Soil type is silty clay loam.

 

 


Marianne   Curtis

TwitterFacebook
Marianne   Curtis
TwitterFacebook
Left, Sam Markillie, YEN Wheat Quality Award Winner with Howard Leland of Allied Mills.
Left, Sam Markillie, YEN Wheat Quality Award Winner with Howard Leland of Allied Mills.

Mr Markillie entered a field of Gallant in the competition, achieving a yield of 12.54 tonnes/ha (5.07t/acre) - 60 per cent of his calculated YEN grain yield potential. Protein content was 13.4 per cent. Protein yield, a key parameter on which competition entrants were judged, was 1.43t/ha (0.58t/acre). Mr Markillie also achieved a high Hagberg of 419.

 

Total N application was 277kg/ha in six splits. Straw is always incorporated and biosolids are used to boost soil organic matter.

 

 


Read More

AHDB Milling Wheat conference: Surplus wheat stocks could be on shaky ground AHDB Milling Wheat conference: Surplus wheat stocks could be on shaky ground
Court of Appeal rules on protection over field monitoring data for agrochemical companies Court of Appeal rules on protection over field monitoring data for agrochemical companies
Getting a grip on eyespot Getting a grip on eyespot
PGRO releases blueprint for UK pulses post-Brexit PGRO releases blueprint for UK pulses post-Brexit
Rank Hovis Milling finds success with KWS Siskin Rank Hovis Milling finds success with KWS Siskin

The farm’s rotation is winter wheat, winter wheat, spring beans, winter wheat, winter wheat, oilseed rape. Sixty-five per cent of the area is wheat and 75 per cent of this is milling wheat, evenly split between Group 1 and Group 2 varieties. The remaining 25 per cent is Group 3 varieties.

 

Twenty-five growers entered the competition with Will Machin, who farms in Oxfordshire taking second place and Tom Paybody, who farms in Northamptonshire, taking third.

TwitterFacebook
Post a Comment
To see comments and join in the conversation please log in.

Most Recent