Options include developing an on-site cookery school and micro-brewery, making more of the Green Valley Cyder works, and processing more of the fresh produce into soups and chutneys.
Michael says: “At the moment, anything which is not visually perfect is used in the restaurant, but there is plenty of scope to do more.”
About 60 per cent of the business’ turnover is in-house, with rents from tenants providing the other 40 per cent.
Michael adds: “Most of our rents are turnover-based, which is a good thing, as it keeps us hungry and innovative rather than just sitting back and taking a fixed sum.”
The shop now employs 120 people and has won numerous awards, which is quite incredible considering its humble beginnings. James says: “Our early approach was ‘build it and they will come’, and luckily they have.
“We borrowed a lot of money to do it, but never really thought it would be this successful.”
But no matter how successful the brothers are, they are still farmers, adds Michael.
“We are just not commodity people. If all you produce is a commodity, you are at the mercy of supermarkets and they will play imported and domestic produce against each other to drive the price down.
“Instead, we have gone to the consumer to get their spend straight into the farm.”