Stilton stuffed rump steak
Serves four people
- 4 x 175g/6oz lean rump steaks
- 150g/5oz blue cheese e.g. Stilton
- 15g/½oz butter, slightly softened
- 15ml/1tbsp single cream
- 30ml/2tbsp hazelnuts, finely chopped
- Salt and milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
For the sweet and sour onions:
- 25g/1oz butter
- 2 red onions, peeled, halved and sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 5ml/1tbsp soft brown sugar
- 200ml/7floz red wine
- 60ml/4tbsp of good quality balsamic vinegar
- 5ml/1tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Place the cheese, butter, cream and hazelnuts in a small bowl. Mash together and season.
- Place the steaks on a chopping board and make a small incision at opposite ends of the steaks, taking care not to cut through the flesh.
- Carefully open each pocket and fill with the cheese mixture. Secure each pocket with a cocktail stick, if required.
- Place on to a plate, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the sweet and sour onions; gently heat the butter in a pan and add the onion, cook for four to five minutes until soft. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for four to five minutes until caramelised, stirring occasionally.
- To cook the steaks; heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Season the steaks on both sides and cook according to your preference.
- Serve the steaks with a portion of the onion marmalade, a jacket potato and a side salad.